I listened to a webinar recently where Seth Godin and Guy Kawasaki were keynote panellists providing their insights for 2010. As part of the closing, they were asked to make a recommendation to the audience for 2010 . . .
Guy quickly said ‘Never ask someone to do what you don't want to do”.
Seth challenged everyone to turn their TVs off for a week and read a couple of books. Learn.
Given it's January and it's a time when we resolve to do better, refresh our thinking or take new approaches, I thought it appropriate to develop a reading list both for myself as well as professionals for new home builders and developers who really want to learn more about online marketing. Traditional forms of marketing are costly and there is an accelerating shift to more online marketing options; which are often more effective in producing results.
So taking Seth's advice, the following is a list of books that are worth a read this year for anyone focused on marketing, sales or customer service whether its new real estate projects and developments or other consumer goods – the same principles apply.
- Linchpin: Are you Indispensable? By Seth Godin – (to be released at the end of January) – Godin shows that the key to being indispensable is overcoming the fears that hold most of us back. Seth's the most influential business blogger in the world, and consistently one of the twenty-five most widely read bloggers in any category. Anything written by him is worth a read and get's you thinking.
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR by David Meerman Scott– How to use social media, blogs, news releases, online video, and viral marketing to reach buyers directly.
- Browsers to Buyers by Mike Lyon – Internet Marketing for Home Builders. Learn more about creating a successful measurable online sales program.
- Inbound Marketing: Getting Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs by Brian Halligan and Darmesh Shah – an actionable “how-to” guide to getting found via Google, the blogosphere, and social media sites.
- Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, Outmarketing Your Competition by Guy Kawasaki – From competition to customer service, innovation to marketing, he shows readers how to ignore fads and foolishness while sticking to commonsense practices.
- Social Media for Builders: It's Easier Than You Think by Carol Flammer – Social media expert Carol Flammer demonstrates the power of this new marketing medium through case studies and online outlet created specifically for the home building industry.
A final read is a free ebook by Seth Godin. It's entitled What Matters Now. It's a thought-provoking read and worth the time.